Here is a recap of some activities we've been up to this week or so (can anyone keep track of the days anymore?!) and a PDF to go with our most recent science experiment, "Break or Bounce"
This science experiment is super simple and can be done with materials you most likely have at home. I'm not sure if everyone keeps vinegar at home, but my mom cleans with it so I'm used to having a lot of vinegar available! Probably not the best cleaning solution to ward off Covid-19, so this science experiment can put it to good use!
First, make a hypothesis, will the egg break or bounce after it has been in vinegar for two days?!
Next, go over the materials. You will need a jar (or tupperware), vinegar, and an egg.
Then, follow the procedure. Pour vinegar in a jar (or tupperware), put the egg in, wait for two days. You will immediately see some fizzing start to occur, so it is pretty neat to have that to watch, but things will be really interesting in a few days! You can check in a few hours, and periodically the following day to discuss changes you see occurring and if you think that will impact your hypothesis.
After two days, take the egg out, and see what happens! Want a sneak peak? Here's a youtube video!
Some other things we've been up to:
We've done several different "hunts" around the house or in a few rooms, and this has been the most engaging activity we've done so far. This was also pretty popular in my instagram stories. We started with a shape hunt using post-its and some corresponding shape papers....
but in the following days we did letter matching and spelled our names. You can also do number hunts where you need to put the numbers in order. You can assign spelling words where your child can find letters around the room and spell the words you give to them, you can have them form sentences with words you put around the room (simple things like "I can jump" "I see a star") you can put math facts around the room and have them put the post it on the answer. SO MANY VARIATIONS!
I decided I wanted to hide more things for them to find. I had so many pom-poms already separated from the craft box from our last experiment, so I made sure I had enough to create a ten frame for numbers 1-10 on the poster board. I may have cheated a little to keep them busy with this one, and held on to the last pom-pom while they looked all over the house for it.... I made sure to put it back out before they got too frustrated.
Another math activity we did was a movement and counting activity. I have provided a PDF for it, but there are some actions and numbers. Have the child pick one of each and perform the action the designated amount of times. Somehow we ended up with the hardest combination: 10 push-ups!
And the last thing I can think of to mention is doing our names with stickers, dobbers and labels. Maebel was especially proud of how hard she worked on hers!
Hope you are also getting outside! Just be careful not to trip and fall!
Welcome to my blog! I've been blogging for a long time on various platforms. My intention has never been to reach the masses, but rather to give myself a chance to reflect and journal. I feel it at least challenges me to be somewhat coherent, however you can expect ramblings and grammatical incorrectness here!
I've recently been diagnosed with CECS and fPAES and had it treated with BOTOX of all things... So I suspect to see more and more people looking for answers with that in the future and hope to continue blogging so there will be easy to access follow-ups as that was helpful for me.